A spinal cord injury is always serious. The bundle of nerves that comprise the spinal cord is responsible for transmitting signals throughout the entire body, controlling movement, sensations, and essential bodily functions. When the spinal cord is damaged or severed, the damage can be permanent.
At Bence Law Firm, we understand the devastating impacts a spinal cord injury can have on your life: how it can impact your livelihood, mobility, and overall quality of life. If someone else is responsible for your injury, they need to be held accountable for their recklessness. In Alabama, a personal injury claim could help you recover much-needed compensation moving forward in life.
Phenix City spinal cord injury lawyer David Bence provides professional and personalized legal services to accident victims just like you. When you work with our loyal team of catastrophic injury attorneys, you will never be just a name on a case file. We believe the best representation comes from getting to know clients as individuals first. We’ll know your voice when you call. And we’ll fight tirelessly for the compensation you deserve.
How a Spinal Injury Can Impact Your Life
Spinal cord injuries can lead to a wide range of health issues by:
- Reducing your mobility and causing paralysis. As a key part of the central nervous system, the spinal cord sends signals from the brain to the arms and legs. If an accident injures your spinal cord, you may become paralyzed or suffer from impaired movement.
- Impairing muscles and organs. The spinal cord does more than just send signals to the legs and arms. It is the conduit for all communication between your brain and the rest of your body. As such, damage to the spinal cord can cause a variety of life-threatening problems by preventing the brain from controlling the function of your internal organs.
- Causing numbness and tingling. If you suffer a partial spinal cord injury, you may experience a loss of sensation or tingling. If permanent, this unpleasant sensation can have a negative impact on your quality and enjoyment of life.
- Preventing you from working. A spinal cord injury can rob you of your ability to earn a living, leading to financial hardship and difficulty building the future you envisioned for yourself.
- Damaging your future earning potential. Similarly, a spinal cord injury can prevent you from advancing in your chosen career, affecting not just your current ability to make money, but also any income increases you could reasonably expect to achieve. A spinal cord injury lawyer in Phenix City can determine whether you can seek compensation for this loss.
- Taking away the activities you enjoy. Spinal cord injuries do more than hurt your career. They can change every part of your life. A catastrophic spinal cord injury can prevent you from taking part in the hobbies you love.
- Causing you stress and pain. Spinal cord injuries can take an enormous toll on your health, your sleep patterns, and your stress levels. Alabama law allows victims to pursue compensation for pain and suffering in addition to other economic losses.
- Requiring modifications to your home and lifestyle. Following a spinal cord injury, you may need special home modifications to facilitate your everyday life. These can be costly, but a spinal cord injury settlement could offset these expenses.
Common Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries generally fall into two categories: complete and incomplete injuries.
With complete injuries, the spinal cord is severed entirely. Incomplete injuries are those in which the accident only partially damages the spinal cord. But both types of injuries can cause painful and life-altering symptoms, such as:
- Temporary or permanent paralysis
- Trouble breathing
- Loss of sensation
- Balance and coordination problems
- Organ failure
- Muscle atrophy
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Any injury that could hurt your back or neck could also damage your spine. But some accidents are more likely to result in spinal cord injuries than others. Leading causes of spinal cord injuries include:
What to Do if You Have Suffered a Spinal Cord Injury
If you’re living with a spinal cord injury due to another’s carelessness, you could have a valid legal claim in Alabama. It’s critical to speak that you speak with a spinal cord injury attorney in Phenix City as soon as possible. The legal clock to file a claim, also known as the statute of limitations, starts ticking from the moment your accident occurs. Then you have two years to file a claim.
At Bence Law Firm, we strongly encourage you to talk to a lawyer well before the two-year statute of limitations expires. Spinal cord injury claims are incredibly complex. Your attorney will need plenty of time to investigate and collect solid evidence to build your claim for maximum compensation.
How Our Phenix City Attorneys Help Spinal Cord Injury Victims
An attorney with experience handling spinal cord injury claims can could protect your rights, push for a full and fair settlement, and fight for you at trial if necessary. At Bence Law Firm, we will:
- Answer all of your questions
- Investigate the accident and gather evidence to support your claim
- Determine liability and bring a claim against all potential defendants
- Identify all possible sources of compensation for you
- Managing all of the calls, paperwork, and legal legwork related to your claim
- Be your advocate and your voice
- Explain the settlement process and negotiate for a fair settlement first
- File a spinal cord injury lawsuit if the responsible party won’t pay
Contact a Phenix City Spinal Cord Injury Attorney Today
If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury, get in touch with Bence Law Firm now. We serve Alabamans in Phenix City and throughout Eastern Alabama.
Whether you need to talk by phone, virtually, or in person, a Phenix City spinal cord injury lawyer at our firm is prepared to get started in whatever way is convenient for you. Call or contact us online now for your free consultation.