What to Do After a Truck Accident in Phenix City?
A sudden jolt, shattered glass, twisted metal, fear, and alarm — a truck accident is undeniably a disorienting and scary experience. Being hit by a vehicle that’s several times the size and weight of your car can result in serious injuries and lifelong disabilities. There’s a good chance that you may be in shock from what happened and not know what to do next.
Let Bence Law Firm, LLC help. The steps you take after a truck accident can be critical to protect both your health and legal rights. Read on for tips from Phenix City truck injury attorney David Bence about what to do after an accident in Alabama.
What to Do Immediately After a Phenix City Truck Wreck
Because tractor trailers are so much bigger the average car, the occupants of the smaller vehicle often suffer the worst injuries in a truck accident. Getting medical attention should be your No. 1 priority after a crash. However, you also need to be thinking about your long-term future, as these injuries can quickly lead to crippling medical bills and may take a long time to heal.
Here’s what to do right after being involved in a truck accident:
- Call 911. You may have severe injuries that need immediate treatment. Even if you don’t, someone else involved in the accident may be hurt. Calling 911 will also bring law enforcement to the scene to begin their investigation. You’ll need the accident report if you decide to file a claim for compensation.
- Collect driver information. Get the truck driver’s name, phone number, mailing address, employer’s name, commercial driver’s license number, the license plate for their truck, and their insurance information. Make sure to get the names and contact information for any other drivers involved in the crash.
- Take photos. Photograph your injuries, vehicle damage, any posted traffic signs or traffic lights, any hazards in the road that may have contributed to the accident, weather conditions, or video surveillance/traffic cameras that might have recorded the accident.
- Identify witnesses. Eyewitness testimony can be very important in a truck accident case. Get the contact information for anyone who saw the crash.
- See a doctor. If you aren’t taken to a hospital by emergency responders, see your own doctor as quickly as possible. Even if you feel fine in the immediate aftermath of the accident, there may be internal injuries that aren’t apparent without closer examination.
- Talk to a Phenix City truck accident attorney. A lawyer can advise you of your legal options and begin investigating your case so you can get the compensation you need. A truck accident attorney can also notify your insurance company of the accident and manage all communications with their adjusters for you.
Should I Seek Medical Treatment Even If I Am Not Injured?
It may seem like you’re fine after an accident, but the only way to be sure is to see a doctor. Some injuries don’t manifest until days or weeks after an accident, or there may be internal injuries that can’t be detected without a complete examination. These include injuries like whiplash, neck and spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries. Treatment delays can make injuries much worse, so see a doctor as soon as you can after an accident.
It’s also important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible after an accident to preserve your right to compensation. Most truck accident claims are settled out of court in negotiations with the other party’s insurance company. If you delay your treatment, the truck driver’s insurer will have an easier time arguing that your injuries aren’t that severe and that you don’t deserve compensation. Seeking treatment right away shows that your injuries are serious and that you acted responsibly to avoid making them worse.
What If I Was Too Injured After My Accident to Get Information?
If you’re too injured to get the information you need after an accident, you can ask someone else in your car or a bystander to get it for you. If no one is available, try to remember what you can and seek the information from other sources (e.g., police reports, traffic cameras, etc.). A truck accident lawyer can also help you get the information you need if you can’t get it yourself.
Who Should I Call After a Truck Accident in Phenix City, AL?
Your first call should be to 911 so emergency medical personnel can respond to the scene. Next, call your spouse or someone else you trust to let them know what happened. After that, you should speak to a knowledgeable truck accident attorney so they can get to work on your accident claim.
How Can Bence Law Firm Help Me?
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you want a lawyer on your side who understands what you’ve been through and what the stakes are. Attorney David Bence is an Alabama native who opened his Phenix City practice because he wanted to help people who weren’t being served by larger, more impersonal law firms. At Bence Law Firm, LLC, you’ll get one-on-one attention and personalized service that makes you feel like family, not just another name on a case file.
When you hire David Bence, you’re getting a dedicated, compassionate advocate on your side. Our legal team will gather all of the evidence needed to support your claim, handle all talks with the other parties in the accident and their agents, and build a case for the maximum amount of compensation possible for you.
Worried about how you can afford a top-quality truck accident lawyer? Don’t be. At Bence Law Firm, LLC, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means you don’t owe us any money unless we recover compensation for you.
If you’re ready to speak with a lawyer after your truck accident, we’re ready to listen. Schedule your free initial consultation today by calling or visiting our contact page.